Sunday, January 10, 2010

Happiness is...

on everyone's lips, or rather the search for happiness is.   I have been awakened to this universal search for happiness.  It seems to be as sought after as fame, fortune, and power, and perhaps is just as elusive.  Coming home from Idaho a few days ago, I was on an airplane and the woman next to me was reading one of the latest self-help books on finding happiness "for no reason"; the napkin which rested under my ginger ale showed two bottles of Coca-Cola and the inscription: "Open Happiness".

The world would have us believe that finding happiness should be as easy an opening a coke bottle.

Is it?  Where do you find your happiness?  Can it be bottled, ready at a moment's notice to satisfy our thirst, our need?

My friend, Charlie Brown melodically believes that "HAPPINESS IS FINDING A PENCIL."  Sounds simple enough.  I'm not sure finding a pencil does it for me, though. Maybe Schroeder is on to something: "HAPPINESS IS LEARNING TO WHISTLE; or maybe Sally gets it: HAPPINESS IS PLAYING THE DRUM IN YOUR OWN SCHOOL BAND."


One of my New Year's Goals is to discover as many sources for happiness that I can, and to note them, and to make a collection of them.  In doing so, I hope to be able to open my own "coke bottle" at will to find the happiness I may be needing at the moment.

Here is part of the list I have come up with.  And please note that the Peanuts gang has contributed to my list.  One must give credit where credit is due.

Happiness is...
a good movie while folding laundry
a Friday night date with my sweetheart
a Saturday night date with my sweetheart;-)
HAPPINESS IS WALKING HAND IN HAND
finding a new favorite song
a good conversation
browsing in a book store
burying myself in a good book in front of the fireplace
HAPPINESS IS HAVING A SISTER (or in my case having THREE!)
a fresh batch of photos ready to be put in a scrapbook
having a beloved hobby
sharing in the happiness of my children
being a grandma
HAPPINESS IS BEING ALONE EVERY NOW AND THEN
spending time at the beach
learning how to paint
traveling the world, discovering its wonders
AND HAPPINESS IS COMING HOME AGAIN.

I would love to hear what some of your sources for happiness are.

I have one more that I would like to share, but again, I must give credit where due:  I was reminded of this source while reading in the book of Alma in the Book of Mormon, chapter 44, verse 5:

"the sacred word of God, to which we owe ALL our happiness"

Thanks for the reminder, Captain Moroni.

Happiness is reading my scriptures every morning while laying in my warm bed.  Can't get better than that...

4 comments:

Nancy said...

It was good seeing you today at church ;-). My happiness comes in holding a sleeping grandbaby, sewing while listening to my favorite shows I have on DVR (what did we ever do without them?). Coming up with a new project I can make for a loved one. I grew up with only a brother, I love quiet. Listening to books on tape while traveling in the car. Reading my books. Going to St. Vincent de Paul and looking through their books and finding one I don't have by a favorite author. Traveling the world and learning about other cultures, really learning about their history so I can understand them as people and what they have had to endure. Going to Eastern Europe was a bit depressing in what we learned about the Nazi, Communism eras. They have only been free for 20 years. Lots of heartbreaking stories and signs of war..... I find happiness in the freedoms we have and this great country we live in.

Kim said...

I love this idea Ardith! I really enjoyed reading this post. It's interesting how many people search for happiness and fail to see it in small and simple things. Thanks for sharing! I love Peanuts too!

Laura said...

Awesome post - I loved reading your favorites. My favorite source of happiness is my family :-)

Maili said...

Baby giggles; a hug from a child; reading to children; doing something that makes someone else happy; a long, hot bath with a good book; guys with blue eyes (especially mine); having the whole family home together; doing a puzzle; listening to General Conference.

Just a few I thought of. Captain Moroni is my favorite. Great post. Thanks for helping me to start my day with happiness and gratitude. Have a great day!