Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Can't believe I'm writing this...

I think I am done with the present-day scrapbooking industry.  Yesterday I sat down in between laundry loads to browse a magazine that had come several weeks ago.  It was a scrapbooking magazine.  The delay in reading it should have been some kind of tip-off of my waning interest.  I remember when a new scrapbooking magazine was the most exciting part of the mail call.

As I wandered through the pages filled with intricate layouts I quickly realized I had absolutely no interest in studying them, learning from them, gleaning ideas from them.  They failed to speak to me in any way. 

I looked at the ads for new products, hoping to find something that was calling for my dollar.  Nope.  Nothing.  Not a thing that I couldn't live without.

Does this mean that I am no longer interested in pursuing my love of scrapbooking?  No, I don't think so.  I love the processes I have already learned.  I love the tools I have amassed.  I love the results of years spent documenting our lives in beautiful, creative ways.  I think it just means that I am willing to continue with the things I already have.

My favorite scrapbook store is no longer around anyway. My participation in their Design Team is a thing of the past.  I am no longer scheduled to teach any classes or design any weekly kits.  I welcome the opportunity to scrap simply for the pure love and enjoyment of the process and the result.

Any regrets?  None.  Will I miss the camaraderie of other fanatic scrappers? Probably. I acquired friends from all over the world that I shared my hobby with.  But the nice thing is that I have created a sanctuary in my own home, which has recently been tidied up again, in which I have at my fingertips ALL the scrapbooking supplies that any one person could ever need or want.

Wouldn't you agree?

9 comments:

Kim said...

Must. not. covet. scrapbook. room.

I think you are very well set up and extremely organized! As for the cameraderie, that doesn't have to end. We just need to find a different venue, don't you think?

Ardith Haws said...

I agree! We'll have to plan a scrapbook retreat to the coast sometime. My husband was surprised at me for disclosing my obsession and showing the world my room. I do have a tendency to get a little carried away...

Kim said...

I think we share the same tendancies.....you should see my Disney pin collection, or the amount of books I have, or probably one of my biggest weaknesses ~ Christmas ornaments. As for the number of times I've viewed Twilight and New Moon....well there's only so much I'm willing to give up for everyone to see :-)

Kim said...

I meant tendencies....oops

Nancy said...

I feel your pain Ardith! I'm the same way with quilting fabric. I loved visiting fabric stores, buying co-ordinating fabric for projects etc. One night when Ivon was teaching, I decided to go through my bounty. BIG MISTAKE!! When I acually saw all my fabric in one place (acually all over the room, one place wasn't big enough), let's just saw there isn't such a burning desire to see all the new fabric that's out! Organizing is the key to reality, it's a real eye opener!!

5Youngers said...

I WANT THAT ROOM!!!! All of my creavite things are at the bottom of my master closet. Only pulled out when I can see that I have enough time to take it all out and put it all away.

Laura said...

Um yes, I concur!! You lucky ducky!!

neffie said...

I think I'm jealous of your room...

Michelle Battistini said...

Wow, Ardith I recently had the same experience, right down to the magazine "ah ha" moment! I still have the desire to scrapbook (I really do) but I no longer have the desire to chase down every new product on the market. (Is this growth?) However, I do feel the tiniest bit sad about it. Maybe we need to scrapbook!