Thursday, January 28, 2010

Doesn't everyone?

My family loves to tease me about my trip-planning tendencies, particularly my penchant for wardrobe planning.  Naturally I figure out well ahead of time exactly what I am going to be wearing for which day and for which activity and for which destination. And I have a schedule all typed up to keep in my suitcase to remind me which swim suit to wear with which swim suit cover-up, and what I will be wearing to dinner on any given evening, AND which pair of shoes will be my best choice. Doesn't everyone do this?

I really can't understand the packing system of "Let's see, I will be there 8 days, I will pack 8 shirts."  Come on!  Does that really feel adequately prepared?  I don't get it.

I once received a compliment that I had "effortless style".  This made me chuckle inwardly, because my style is anything but effortless.  There is a lot of thought and effort that goes into it, and the fact that it appears effortless means that I have accomplished my goal.

Perhaps I better explain a little further though.  Do I do this all the time?  Heavens, no!  I only do this type of planning when I am going on a trip that requires as effective packing as possible.  It is so much easier to only take exactly what I need, based upon the preliminary planning, rather than throwing in a bunch of stuff that I may or may not use that will only take up valuable space.

So you see, my compulsiveness is really due to efficiency.  On any other given day I just choose the nearest pair of blue jeans and couple it with a comfortable hoodie sweatshirt.  How's THAT for effortless style?

6 comments:

wendy peatross said...

This is a fun chart. Now I need to go back to your trip pictures and see the outfits.

5Youngers said...

You are very organized. I always take outfits on trips. Not just shirts and pants etc... I need to know what "outfit" I will be wearing. But I am a mood dresser... I like to just see how my mood is that day and go with which outfit I like. I love your chart.

Laura said...

Your chart rocks! I plan the same way but in my head, but I love the chart idea because I usually forget something! Great idea! Now I need to go on a trip so I can plan better....

Kim said...

Very great idea ~ I too just plan it in my head. And I usually either forget something or take things I don't need. Thanks for the inspiration!

Nancy said...

The last trip we took was to Eastern Europe. Things were going to be really tight in Heathrow airport, so our travel agent suggested we take only a carry on so we didnt have to worry about lost luggage. I thought this was impossible for three weeks!!! She got the tour together and showed us how to pack, light bulb moment!! Now we only take our carry ons.....no more lost luggage and headaches! I am also one that needs things coordinated so I did a lot of thinking and planning too. I'm also a list maker, it makes things nicer doesn't it. I had a good time last night and it was great getting to know you better!!

Ivon said...

This is interesting. Maybe I will need to get to know you better. I am just the opposite. I am one that counts the days and take that many t-shirts. My only debate would be which Hard Rock Cafe shirt on which day. I only have one fishing vest to wear with them, so that is not a difficult task either.