Wednesday, June 23, 2010

"Let me have a draught of undiluted morning air"

My kindred spirit, Henry David Thoreau, would have gotten up early to walk with me this morning.  He understood the unparalleled virtue of that time of day, and the fleeting nature of its benefits:  "Morning air! If men will not drink of this at the fountainhead of the day, why, then, we must even bottle up some and sell it in the shops, for the benefit of those who have lost their subscription ticket to morning time in this world.  But remember, it will not keep quite till noonday even in the coolest cellar..."
One of the best habits I have acquired over my lifetime is being an early riser (and a subsequent early-to-bed-er).  And a brisk walk on a beautiful morning does more for the soul than just a little physical exercise.  I love the smell of the fresh flowers.  I love that I can sing along with my iPod and not worry if folks will think I am a little crazy, for I am nearly the only one out taking advantage of this recurring gift.

Another benefit of enjoying the dawn alone is that tears go unnoticed, as well.  This morning my "shuffle" gave me a great gift, two songs in a row from my favorite recording artist.  Her name is Erica Haws and she has the voice of an angel.  She has been on my mind a lot lately, as I am in full gear planning her wedding.  So when her lovely voice began to accompany my walk, I could not hold back the emotion I felt.  What a gift she has been her whole sweet life.  To see the lovely, compassionate woman she has become makes my cup runneth over with gratitude.  Having her in our family has been one of our greatest blessings. 
Have you "lost" your subscription ticket to the morning?  I recommend you look for it.  You may have to go to bed a little earlier to find it.  It's worth it. 

5 comments:

Kim said...

I have a ticket, but it's to early morning swim practice. I think I need to exchange that for a ticket to afternoon practice so I can get a second one for enjoying the morning beauty. I'm glad you had such a fun walk and were able to listen to your favorite artist!

Nancy said...

I have a bit of trouble with mornings.....I think I might be allergic to them!?! I agree with everything you said about Erica. I'm glad she is part of our family (we feel like she already is part of our family) too!! ;)

Laura said...

PS, I'd love to hear one of Erica's songs!

Laura said...

I've lost my ticket a long time ago - I'm a night owl!!
I'd love to be an early riser though! :-)

5Youngers said...

I so wish I could wake up early and enjoy it but alas if I wake up early I am grouchy, irritable and tired. So my motto is to be happy in the late morning. I love me some sleep and staying up till midnight each night requires sleeping in sometimes.

P.P.S I would also love to hear Erica's songs.