Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Oh, Ardy! Come look.

I love it when I hear those words.  It means my husband has seen something he thinks is beautiful, or remarkable, or for whatever reason, something that will thrill me.  And I always know that he will be right, whatever it is.  I know this because of our  history together.  He delights in discovery, and he delights in sharing it with me.

Last night when we checked into our room in downtown Atlanta, we were told that they had run out of standard rooms, so they were bumping us up to a premium room with a corner view.  Okay.  No argument here.  As I followed Brian into the room, I heard those familiar words, "Oh, Ardy!  Come look."  Of course he was right; it was absolutely worth my time to look at the breathtaking view of the beautiful skyline in the background, and in the foreground the Centennial Olympic Park, the Georgia Aquarium, the World of Coca-Cola, the CNN Center and Phillips Arena.  Right there.  Here were some of the premiere attractions of Atlanta spread out in panorama before me, to drink in at my leisure.

There is power in those words:  Come Look.  Are we always attentive enough to look when someone bids us to? And should we always obediently look?  Of course, we must use caution.  Awhile back on facebook, my seminary teacher from years past seemed to be beckoning one of his former students to "look at this sexy video".  That seemed a little out of character I thought.  Sure enough.  He had been the victim of foul play and a virus.  Those with evil intentions know how trusting the collective "we" can be, and they know the power of suggestion.

There is another admonition to "look" given by the prophet Alma, to his son Helaman, in the Book of Mormon.  He loved the idea of being able to look to the Savior, Jesus Christ, for healing, for redemption, for salvation, and was frustrated that so many would perish because of doubting the easiness of the commandment to just look. He cautions his son:  "Do not let us be slothful because of the easiness of the way...the way is prepared, and if we will look we may live forever...yea, see that ye look to God and live."

I am so thankful for those in my life that have pointed the way for me to look, to follow, to live.  I have had some remarkable examples in my life.  I hope that there are those in your life that you trust enough to follow their admonitions to "Come Look!"

3 comments:

Kim said...

I had forgotten you guys were out of town this week. That's great about the upgrade and all the wonderful things you can see! And I love your message ~ we definitely need to be aware or what we are looking at. Have a fun week!!

Gayle Hannon said...

You are down in Atlanta? I just moved down to Savannah with my sister Maggie and am working at Fort Stewart. What brings you down here? Atlanta is an amazing place last summer I was visiting and we went to the Centennial Olympic Park and all the historic sites, it was great! Hope you guys enjoy your vacation!

Nancy said...

What a great post!! Have fun in Atlanta. We were stationed in Athens, Georgia while Ivon went to Supply School. This was years before we knew Stephen and Derek would complete our family. Have a safe trip!