Thursday, May 27, 2010

In Memory of Murl

One of the delightful surprises of my marriage to Brian (and there have been many) was the relationship I was able to have with my mother-in-law.  Murl Haws was sweet, sassy, and devoted to her children and grandchildren.  It was an honor to share the title "Sister Haws" with her.

Murl absolutely loved the ocean and treasured whatever opportunity she could find to go there.  We would always try to fit in a trip to the coast whenever she came to visit, at whatever dumpy motel we could find, or afford, so she could sit, ponder, marvel, and drink in the magic of the waves. We made great effort to find a room with an oceanview and relatively easy access down to the beach. 

This weekend in her honor, Brian is gathering his sisters and their husbands for a reunion at the Oregon Coast.  You see, we have finally found a place to gather with lots of big, glorious windows facing the ocean; a place with easy access to the beach; and a big kitchen with plenty of dining space.

Sadly, it came too late for Murl to have experienced.  She passed away nearly two years ago and yet every time I go to the beach house I think of her.  I imagine her sitting next to the fireplace, cozy in a blanket, a good book nearby, enjoying the view. 


Murl, we love you, and wish you were joining us tomorrow.

4 comments:

5Youngers said...

What a beautiful tribute to your mother-in-law.

Kim said...

So sweet ~ she will be missed I'm sure, but what a fun time to gather and share stories and memories!

Nancy said...

You are lucky to have had such a sweet, caring mother-in-law. What a wonderful son she raised to be so kind and giving to get his siblings together at a place she would have loved!

Bunnell's said...

Aunt Arideth,
Thank-you for the sweet memories of Grandma. It touched me. I miss her more then I ever thought I could! We miss you guys too. Have fun...I just dropped mom/dad off at the airport! Hope to see you soon!