Thursday, May 6, 2010

It Mattereth Not...

I have seized the opportunity recently to take a step back, to review my life and my priorities, and to refocus my energies according to this new perspective.  I have been reminded of the important things in life, and those that really are of little consequence.

I found a choice reminder in the Book of Ether, Chapter 15, verse 34.  Ether has watched the final demise of a once-great nation, which came to final blows by Coriantumr and Shiz.  Gruesome story.  In realizing that he is left to wander the balance of his days alone, leaving his life in the Lord's hands, Ether records his final words on the gold plates which will later be found by the people of Limhi, and included by Mormon in his great book; "Whether the Lord will that I be translated, or that I suffer the will of the Lord in the flesh, it mattereth not, if it so be that I am saved in the kingdom of God."

It mattereth not.  Which things do matter?  Which ones do not?

How often do we get caught up in worldly woes, losing sleep over issues that really matter little in the grand scheme of things?  Could we look at, and dismiss, most of the things that weigh heavily upon our minds, realizing that trivial things really "mattereth not"?  What matters is how we handle those difficulties.  What matters is where we turn for counsel, for peace, for resolution.  What matters is the character we are building in times of trouble.

In looking outward at the challenges of our country and our world, it doesn't take long to realize that our little lives, which we worry so much over, have been blessed with extraordinary blessings.  I am not facing flood waters, nor having to rebuild after earthquakes or hurricanes or tsunamis.  My family has seen its share of challenges, but most things that leave me awake in the wee small hours of the morning are quite insignificant.  As long as I am making good choices, trying to be faithful and diligent and to turn my cares over to the Lord, then whatever comes my way mattereth not.  I can handle it.  We can handle it together.

7 comments:

The Parent Family Homeschool said...

Thank you for the reminder. I really needed it, especially today. As I read your words I felt the spirit. I am so thankful for people like you that share their life lessons and testimony.

Sara said...

Thank you, I also needed that today! Im very thankful that you are willing to share your thoughts and words for us to hear!

Nancy said...

Very good words of wisdom.

Laura said...

Amen! Thanks for the reminder!

Kim said...

I think we all need to do this from time to time.....I worry so much about ridiculous things like if I laughed too loud, or sounded dumb when I conducted RS and more that I'd rather not divulge ;-) It's silly how much time I waste worrying ~ thanks for the reminder to let things go!

5Youngers said...

Thank you so much for these inspirational words. I have been doing a lot of soul searching myself lately and I have been pondering the small things. Or rather the small things that take over my life. The most important things in life tend to be the ones that get the least attention. My new goal is to flip those around and I have seen a MAJOR difference in my life and my families life. Keep up these FABULOUS posts... they make my day!

Jessica M said...

Amen! A wonderful message. If God is for us, who can be against us? :)