Saturday, January 1, 2011

No Excuses!

In looking forward to a new year of change, of improvement, of accomplishment, I want to quote two of the wisest men I know. The first is President Thomas S. Monson as he quotes another legendary statesman:

"Professor Harold Hill, in Meredith Willson's The Music Man, cautioned: 'You pile up enough tomorrows, and you'll find you've collected a lot of empty yesterdays.'

"There is no tomorrow to remember if we don't do something today, and to live most fully today, we must do that which is of greatest importance. Let us not procrastinate those things which matter most." (Conference Report, April 2003)
Are you a procrastinator?  Are you merely dreaming of better days, or are you doing something to assure them?

My new mantra for the new year is "No Excuses!"  And that is how I intend to live. 
I know that I have weaknesses that have held me back in the past.  No excuses.
I know that I am getting older, with all the limitations that imposes.  No excuses.
I know that I get distracted by time-wasters.  No excuses.

The old cliche' has been around a long time because it is an indesputable truth: 
 The longest journey starts with just one step.
I am choosing to look  forward, with my eyes on the promise of a brighter future,
 determined to take it one step at a time..

And the value of that first small step?  "Wherefore, be not weary in well-doing, for ye are laying the foundation of a great work. And out of small things proceedeth that which is great."  D&C 64:33

Happy New Year!

1 comment:

Laura said...

LOVE that! Happy New Year!!