Monday, October 26, 2009

Learning to Share...

my son!  For years it has always been understood that my son, Robert, and I share a very special relationship.  He is my only boy and we, in a lot of ways, are cut out of the same cloth.  We think alike, we reason alike, we approach things from the same way, we share the same interests and talents (even though he has surpassed me on ALL levels).  He is one of my favorite people in the whole world, along with my three beautiful daughters, of course!


During the past two years I have been faced with the reality that I am being replaced as the love of his life.  I always knew it would happen; I have always wished for the best of life to happen for my son, and in January of 2008, the best of life hit him like a speeding train.  And it knocked him off his feet!  Her name was Josalyn Smith.  Now her name is Josalyn Haws.  And I adore her too!
And then, last July, there entered in another huge distraction; little miss Evelyn Rebecca Haws who stole all of our hearts, especially her daddy's.

When I mentioned to my son that I was being replaced, yet again, as the love of his life he had the most lovely of responses.  He told me that I was like the solid foundation of a totem pole, being the first great love that made it possible for him to add other great loves to his life.  Okay.  I can live with that.  I haven't been replaced; I have simply been added to.  I love you, my dear son.  Thank you for the wonderful Sunday evening phone calls.  They are one of the highlights of my week.

4 comments:

5Youngers said...

What a sweet tribute to your son. That is a special bond that you two share.

Laura said...

What a sweet post! And how stinkin' cute is Evelyn! You're one lucky grandma! :-)

Nancy said...

His response to you was wonderful, what a great son! He has a beautiful wife and adorable baby girl....nothing could be better!!!

Kim said...

Now I need to go re-apply my mascara. Thanks!