Monday, April 12, 2010

Just trying to keep up!

What a whirlwind day we have had!  If I have learned anything, it is that my stamina is beginning to wane a little. Perhaps I'm not really as young as I think I am. Today has been set aside as a mother-daughter celebration, and I finally had to drop out of the final activities.  Just couldn't keep up with those girls of mine!

The day began with cake baking.  And I mean, lots of cake baking.  We are having a little post-birthday observance for Jackie's big 25, which I missed last month, and part of that is trying our hands at decorating with fondant.  But for a wow cake, it requires many layers of cake.  So we baked many layers of cake.  I'm not sure who is going to eat all that cake.

While the cakes were cooling, my girls and I went shopping, you know a little something we like to do...  Very fun, and very successful.  We are very good shoppers.

Then came time for cake decorating.  In hind sight, I wish I would have taken pictures of my kitchen when we were all finished.  That may have been the biggest mess ever to have covered the counters and the table and the floor and the bakers.  Powdered sugar was everywhere!  And we had a blast!  Here is our masterpiece.  Obviously we are beginners.  Obviously we have a lot to learn.  Obviously it is our first attempt at using fondant.  But we are pretty proud of it, nonetheless.

When the kitchen was finally cleaned up, we caught our breath, changed our clothes, and went to DaVinci's for Jackie's favorite gnocchi.  She claims she has been dreaming about it.  And it probably is dream-worthy.  I had fresh spinach fettucini with chicken, pancetta, and roasted tomatoes.  Absolutely delicious.  Not sure I will be dreaming about it, but very good.

As I stumbled into the house on our return, exhausted from the day's adventures, my girls all headed to change into their swimsuits for a hot tub party.  Sadly, I had to pass on that one.  And then afterwards, they changed and went out to Applebee's for dessert.  I passed on that one too.  See what I mean?  I must be getting old...

8 comments:

Sara said...

the cake looks great! I would say your first was better then mine!

neffie said...

It looks beautiful!! You girls did an amazing job! It's fun though isn't it?

Kim said...

That looks fabulous!!

Nancy said...

What a beautiful cake!! It's hard to believe it was your first.

Laura said...

The cake looks FANTASTIC!!! You guys did a great job and it does not look like a first fondant job!

5Youngers said...

I love that cake... It looks professional!

Kim said...

I gave you an award on my blog ~ check it out!

Anonymous said...

Ardith! Its been a long time! Tell Jackie Happy Birthday..we really should get together! Very nice on the fondant cake, I love working with fondant! (If you go back on my blog there is a couple I made) But if you are interested in persuing a later cake I recommend "Satin Ice" fondant, it is so much better then Wiltons. You can find it at my favorite store Captain Alberts off of McGilcrest. Sorry for the long post but HI!!!