Thursday, November 5, 2009

If I could go back...

to Athens, Greece, I WOULD!  I fell in love with the place.  Even though it is a modern city,  it feels a little like stepping into a timeless place, lost in history, where the ancient coexists effortlessly with the present.

It calls to mind the words of John Keats:  "A thing of beauty is a joy forever:  Its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness."


So many beautiful sights that are courageously withstanding the test of time and the elements.


One of the highlights was certainly going up to the Acropolis to see the Parthenon.


It is the perfect vantage point for seeing many other significant landmarks such as the Dionysos and Odeon Theaters, the Ancient Agora, or marketplace, as well as the Plaka, which is the older area of the city located just down from the Acropolis.  We were able to spend time there, walking the narrow cobblestone streets, drinking in the authentic flavor of Greece, and being introduced to what has become a favorite cuisine.




Another highlight was Mars Hill, where the Apostle Paul preached his famous sermon on the Unknown God to a culture that had based its whole history on the worship and elevation of  some very flawed gods and goddesses. 


It was a day that was filled with history, beauty, and discovery that could have easily been stretched into a week.  Perhaps someday I will return to Athens and be able to get my fill of this amazing place.  One day only served to whet my appetite for more.

3 comments:

Kim said...

When we were in Rome, I felt like I was walking through history. It's surreal. I love your pictures and narration!

5Youngers said...

Your pictures are amazing. Love the your descriptions....

Laura said...

So what is the cuisine in the photo?
LOVING your photos! One day I'll make it there too!