So I decided to think a little more about a bucket list, a list of all the things I want to experience and accomplish before I kick that darn, rusty bucket. As I did so, armed with paper and pen, an interesting thing happened. I thought I would write fast and furiously, anxious to get on the paper all the amazing destinations I have yet to see.
Didn't happen. Instead, my mind turned to an interesting process of prioritizing. Suddenly the most important things became time with family; and trips to meaningful places. There are a few personal accomplishments that I would still like to see happen, but realistically, I feel satisfied with most of the things I have filled my years with. I have educated myself, in lieu of a formal college degree. I have studied the scriptures and taught many lessons from what I have learned. I have explored my creative side, using a variety of mediums to beautify and chronicle my life. Most importantly, I have nurtured four amazing children into adulthood, and fostered significant relationships with a wonderful group of family and friends.
Here is my bucket list, so far. It isn't long. It is filled with my lifelong dreams of exploring the homelands of beloved book characters and authors. Some are just traveling to places that have intrigued me for one reason or another. Nothing is frivolous. Everything is reasonable, I think.
- Write a book, and get it published (This one is close!)
- Tour Great Britain by car
- Serve at least one mission with my husband
- Visit Hilton-Head Island, South Carolina
- Visit New Orleans, Louisiana
- Visit Chicago, Illinois
- Take a thorough Church History Tour
- Nurture a personal relationship with each grandchild
- Revisit painting--take a class again
- Learn to use Photoshop
- Take a train trip to Vancouver, British Columbia, in a sleeper car
- Visit Paris, France
- Cross the English Channel at Dover
- Explore Plymouth Harbor; sail in a tall ship
- Take a riverboat cruise down the Mississippi River
- Take a New England Fall Color Tour
- Go back to Wichita, Kansas someday
- Have a family reunion in Hawaii
- Explore the Alps of Switzerland
- Visit the Holy Land
- Sure, we better throw in there Mt. Rushmore...