Monday, December 7, 2009

Like hearing it...

for the first time!  Last night during the First Presidency Christmas Devotional, the Mormon Tabernacle Choir performed part of Handel's Messiah, For Unto Us a Child is Born.  I cannot begin to describe the power that piece of music had on me.  I have heard it many times before, and always thought it was beautiful.

This time, I don't know if I was hearing it with new ears, but something was different.  I was enraptured, if you will excuse the use of such a melodramatic word.  It was so thrilling to me to hear not only the powerful words of Isaiah but to hear them set to inarguably some of the most triumphant music ever composed.

I have been singing it to myself ever since, quietly of course if anyone is nearby.  I find that it is the perfect way to express my joy and thanks for the birth of my Savior at this Christmastime.  Just fills my heart with joy.

3 comments:

Nancy said...

What Laura said, amen!

Kim said...

We are watching that for FHE tonight and now I'm looking forward to it even more!

Suz said...

I usually sing my way through Isaiah! I am glad you finally understand. Duane & I try to go to the "Sing your own Messiah" every year at the Cathedrial of the Rockies in downtown Boise. It is the highlight of the season.