Monday, November 29, 2010

What Can You Do With a Bishop

...when he stops being a bishop?  I took a little creative license and borrowed lyrics from a song.  Hopefully most of you caught the reference to the movie White Christmas with Bing Crosby.

Of course in the movie the dilemma actually dealt with a displaced General, but I think a bishop also fits.  As my husband was only just released from his calling, we haven't felt the real impact of the change yet.  But I anticipate that we will. 

Imagine having him home most evenings.  Imagine having him home most Sundays.  Imagine not getting phone calls round the clock from those needing help, counsel, or a ride to church. 

I'm trying to imagine such things.  I do know that it will be a welcome adjustment.  If anyone has a suggestion for new hobbies, I'm sure he would be open to hearing them.

Speaking of great old movies (and Miranda says Everything in life has a movie reference), not once in the entire 5 years that I was The Bishop's Wife did I receive a personal visit from Cary Grant.

3 comments:

Kim said...

1. Thanks to you and Bishop for all of your service/sacrifice on behalf of our ward ~ we will definitely miss him but are glad for you and the extra time and reduced stress you will now receive!

2. Everything in life DOES have a movie reference ~ I wholeheartedly agree!

3. A visit from Cary Grant would be truly amazing!

Kris Westover said...

Hey Ardith --
When you figure it out, let me know.

And, sorry you missed Cary's visit. It think our guys were bishoping for the wrong church on that one. That movie always made me uncomfortable -- a date ice skating with another man is probably WORSE if he's a complete ANGEL and looks like Cary Grant.

Speaking of old movies -- the Fred Astaire & Ginger Rogers classic "Top Hat" will be on the silver screen at the Elsinore Wed., 12/1, 7 PM, $5. Layne and I plan to go -- wanna double date?

Love, Kris W.

Laura said...

I love, love, LOVE the idea that everything in life has a movie reference. Thank you (and Miranda) for the fun ah-ha moment.
Enjoy the change of pace. Hope you two find a lot of relaxing time amongst the new hobbies. :-)