Tuesday, April 19, 2011

One Tradition I Could Never Grasp

I love Santa Claus.  I love everything about Santa Claus.  I have thrown my entire being into supporting his cause, and promoting the dream and the magic that is uniquely his.

But I never could understand the ridiculousness that is the "Easter Bunny".  C'mon, really?  What is that about?  And WHY?

But what about your poor children, you may be asking.  What a grouchy mother they have!  She has deprived them of the "magic" of an anthropomorphic rabbit that hides gross hard-boiled eggs under the couch never to be found until they start to stink sometime in May.

Well, to my defense, my children have always had their fair share of Easter goodies.  But, as a family, we have chosen to celebrate with those things on the Saturday prior to Easter, preserving the Sabbath for our undistracted worship of the Resurrected Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

So while my children never looked for Easter baskets on Sunday morning, we always had a rousing treasure hunt on Saturday afternoon.  Brian and I would carefully write clues which led our children from hiding place to hiding place, which would then lead to the grand-daddy of them all where elaborate baskets would be waiting for them.  These would contain whatever this "Easter Bunny" thought would delight them.  Including Peeps.  Which I personally hate. 

I have no desire to discount whatever your family traditions are.  Whatever brings you and yours together is the important thing. 

But those "poor" Haws children seem to have managed just fine without a yearly visit from that mythical rabbit.

6 comments:

Outside the Pumpkin Shell said...

I could have written this word for word. Except that I do a little less than you for Easter. However...Somehow the only picture I own of you, is of you next to the Easter Bunny, which is me in costume. Hideous. All for the sake of children...

Ardith Haws said...

I remember that! All for the sake of children.

Alida B. said...

I've always thought that maybe I was a mean mom or that I was making my kids miss out on something BIG when Easter rolls around. We don't play Easter Bunny, we don't buy ridiculous Easter Presents like it's Christmas or Birthday time. Like you we've chosen to celebrate our Easter festivities on Saturdays. I usually plan an Easter Treasure Hunt first thing in the morning so they can find their baskets. They LOVE it and really I don't care if people think I'm awful for not doing the whole Easter bunny thing....because in the end, come Sunday my kids know what Easter is really all about.

Gosh, sorry for the novel. First time commenting, I found you through Mormon Moms Who Blog. :)

Ardith Haws said...

Alida, I'm so glad you found me! And thank you for your wonderful comment. I am discovering that I wasn't as alone as I thought I was! Great news.

Laura said...

I live for the peeps. I'll do almost anything for a peep. :-)

neffie said...

That's a pretty scary rabbit there..... Just like Christmas we need to work to keep the sacredness there or else it becomes commercialized. :-)