Sunday, September 27, 2009

All of life's solutions are a friendship away...

I have been blessed with a new facet cut into the stone of my life; it is the renewal of friendships.  Largely responsible is that quirky, new-fangled invention called "facebook". Have you heard of it?

I know it began as a tool for young people to communicate and network in their respective schools and circles of friends, but it has mushroomed into an overwhelming behemoth that is meeting needs in all walks of life and all age groups.

I think facebook's success comes by bringing to the foreground some of life's basic needs that are usually neglected.  How many of us haven't spent that last 20 years pursuing such things as education, marriage, family, careers, etc.?  And the victim of these priorities is the simple joy that comes from having a friend; someone you can laugh with through the difficult times; someone who can temporarily take your mind off your troubles and the drudgery of life.

I found a great quote from Ralph Waldo Emerson:  "We take care of our health, we lay up money, we make our room tight, and our clothing sufficient; but who provides wisely that he shall not be wanting in the best property of all--friends?"

My facebook circle of friends can be divided into some interesting groups:  my dear friends from Salem, Oregon who have been with me through the raising of my family; my family, including my siblings, and even my old dad ;-); young people throughout the years who have blessed me with the opportunity to get to know them through seminary, sunday school, Young Women's, Girls Camp, and being friends of my own children; one elementary school friend from Cedar City, Utah; a fun handful of junior high friends from Wichita, Kansas; and an expanding, delightfully fun group from my high school days in Grace, Idaho.

I have been so blessed to know all of these fine people.  I have been so blessed to be able to call them "my friends".  There is such power in that word, isn't there?  My desire is that in taking so much from all of them, so much kindness and support and love, that I in turn can somehow be a source to lift them, to guide them, and to help buoy them up in some small way.

No comments: